Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

how to restrict users not to access local hard drive through group policy

Active Directory

Old 13-04-2012

how to restrict users not to access local hard drive through group policy

i want to block all the users local hd to be block through gpo and they can also not to access by command prompt or even by run command so any one tell me is it possible and if it is possible then wht are the steps to do.

Old 15-04-2012

Re: how to restrict users not to access local hard drive through group policy

1. Start the Microsoft Management Console. On the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
2. Add the Group Policy snap-in for the default domain policy. To do this, click Browse when you are prompted to select a Group Policy Object (GPO). The default GPO is Local Computer. You can also add GPO for other domain partitions (specifically, Organizational Units).
3. Open the following sections: User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Windows Explorer.
4. Click Hide these specified drives in My Computer.
5. Click to select the Hide these specified drives in My Computer check box along with Prevent access to drives from My computer.
6. Click the appropriate option in the drop-down box.
Old 10-01-2014

I want to do the same thing for shared folders. I am unable to find a proper output. I want to allow access to some specific users only. I had tried doing that through AD but I am not able to apply that on other users. It is a bit time consuming to manually offer access. Is there are automated way available through which I can do something like grouping. I can make a group like staff and then offer them to access files from shared space while others are denied. I am also trying to find a guide on it which can give me more detailed process.
Old 11-01-2014

It is simple. It is right that you have to go with a manual option to add every specific user in your account. Or else it wont work properly. You can right click on the folder and there you can add users by name. It will be detected automatically. The folder access will be offered only those who have access and those who don't will not be able to see what is in the folder. I did this to 6 different folders based on different department. I am not really using AD here. I have around 15 people who are separately allowed to use different shared folders.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: ,