Thread: Domain Replication Via VPN

Domain Replication Via VPN

Hi Everyone,

I have a little (well quite a big) head banging problem.

Basically I have three servers (Windows Server 2008 R2) at three diffrent physical locations around town. I have created a domain on server-001 and also created the OU's and users that I need. I now need to replicate this to the two other servers.

I had this before, done via LogMeIn Hamachi. The servers were able to talk to each other using the VPN that was created. All was working fine until I came to join workstations to the domain. Because the DNS had each server as the VPN address, the workstations couldn't find the domain controller. For example, server-001 and server-002 were "talking" to each other fine, replicating changes within Active Directory as the DNS had Server-001 and Server-002 as the 5.x.x.x IP address. As the workstations didnt have Hamachi installed, when it contacted the DNS, it didn't understand the 5.x.x.x IP address and failed.

So basically, my question is how can I setup the DNS so that the servers can "talk" to each other to replicate, yet still have an internal address for when clients are trying to join the domain?

So if Server-001 and Server-002 replicate, they contact each other on the 5.x.x.x IP address, but if the workstations "talk" to the server, they can find the 192.168.x.x address?

I have read some posts about multi-homing a domain controller is a very bad idea, but I have no other way around other that using Hamachi VPN. Unless I can create a VPN using RRAS with dynamic IP addressing from the ISP and with only 1 NIC in each server.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Re: Domain Replication Via VPN

You can try to create two different site in AD sites and services and configure the replication schedule as per requirement. You may also have to map the required subnet to appropiate site for proper user authentication. Also ensure that all server are configured as GC. Also refer to this links here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727085.aspx