Thread: How to limit concurrent connections in active directory

How to limit concurrent connections in active directory

Can anyone please tell me how to limit users to 1 concurrent connection in Windows Server 2003? I wanted to know whether this can be done through Group Policy? Thanks

I dont think it is natively possible. Can you try to check at the limitLogon? The limit login might be the solution that you are looking for but be aware that it is not that effective.

what happens if a gracefull Log Off does not take place? ex: power loss, hard shutdown, etc. Does the script logic account for it?

Re: How to limit concurrent connections in active directory

I know this is an older thread but the solution mentioned above by Brandon seems like something I would like to try. Has anyone successfully done this and does anyone mind sharing their scripts if they were successful in doing this?

Alternatively does anyone know any other ways to accomplish limiting concurrent connections in active directory. (Other then buying at third party utility or limitlogin?)

Re: How to limit concurrent connections in active directory

Quote Originally Posted by dwk1234 View Post
    I know this is an older thread but the solution mentioned above by Brandon seems like something I would like to try. Has anyone successfully done this and does anyone mind sharing their scripts if they were successful in doing this?

Alternatively does anyone know any other ways to accomplish limiting concurrent connections in active directory. (Other then buying at third party utility or limitlogin?)
    You can simply download the LimitLogin utility to limit concurrent user logins in an Active Directory domain in a Windows Server 2003, a Windows 2000, or a Windows NT 4.0 environment from here. The LimitLogin utility keeps track of all logon information in Active Directory domains. Hope that helps you out.