Thread: Problem with Domain user as local administrator

Problem with Domain user as local administrator

I am having some issue with the authentication of users to access services. There is a domain with me with Windows 2008 and all servers are Windows 2008. I would like to add a domain user as local admin into the server and it should not appear on the list but says if it is. When I am logon on that server with the domain user works fine but will not have admin access because some complement is not allowed. I have turned off the UAC and so the server can access. The issue comes when the user wants to access such a SQL and notifies that the domain is not trusted. It will not seem to have the same permissions as the local admin of the real machine. The only way is to access with the domain admin account, even though adding that account as a domain admin that doesnt have permissions. Can anyone please help. Thanks.

Re: Problem with Domain user as local administrator

Could you please tell us where exactly you are attemoting to add domain user to local users groups, whether it is on the domain controller or not? It it is then there are no local users on the domain controller. Incase you want to add domain users to local groups on member servers, then you can use Restricted Groups to do that. Also, I do not understand on which server you are logging onto, whether domain controller or member server? Have you tried shutting UAC down to get it working?

Re: Problem with Domain user as local administrator

Have you tried to use that add operation successfully or not? Also, did you manage to add the user to the local admin group? For SQL, I dont know whether just being in the local Admin group is sufficient to get access to all sorts of databases. You will still have to grant access to that user. Atleast, thats what I am understanding. From a Windows perspective, is that user an admin? Are you able to access the registry or make modifications to the system?

If I am understanding the question then you want to use domain users to authenticate, even if the domain user is an SQL admin with SQL, also the domain user to be used for crendentials in an application pool in IIS. Since I am not an expert in SQL, so, you should try to ask this question in the SQL forum to get a proper reply.