Thread: Export/import of computer accounts

Export/import of computer accounts

I need some help with exporting computer account from Active Directory. I am going to keep a backup as well as it will help me to transfer the settings to a new domain. I am not able to find a proper solution for this. For testing I am having old dc with me an. I had also configured a new DC with all settings that are needed. It will be a waste of time to create a new account in each DC one by one. Can anyone provide me a proper advice on the same. Thanks.

Re: Export/import of computer accounts

There is one thing you can do. Configure AD on the new domain and then configure the accounts one by one properly. Migration is not a issue, what matters is appropriate settings. You can simply copy the settings for existing ad to the new one. You have to just find the appropriate files that is having ample of information on what you are trying to do. I am sure you will get the right output on the same. Once the accounts are properly copied shutdown the old one.

Recreating all the accounts must be a better choice according to me. You can simply export all the details from it in csv file format and I am sure it will help you. I had migrated around 600 users from my old domain to the new one and it looks to be working really well. I had used a script for that. And I am not having the same with me. You can find the script on technet I think. You have to search it properly.

It is possible to do the same through some script, but there is some issue that I want to highlight before. First you cannot import the user User Account Security Identifiers. Even after migrating the account the system needs to be connected to the old domains. It is one of the most time consuming process. You have to create a properly way of doing the same. Collect all required information and then simply move ahead with migration process. I am sure that would be more helpful for the same.

I found migration of AD more simple. There is a profile file which is stored in the system. You just have to copy that properly at a location and it will work fine. There will be no issue with the same. You can go on web and download Active Directory Migration tool. This tool offers you a simple way of doing the process. It allow you to properly migrate many things easily.

The link below gives you a complete guide for migration. Download it and you can use it for migration. Everything is mentioned in it with proper tools that are needed for the process. It is better if you learn the guide and then move ahead. There can be errors if this is not done properly and it will affect the working of complete network.

Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) Guide: Migrating and Restructuring Active Directory Domains

You can try LDIFDE Utility for the same. I think this would be a better way for migration. I am also giving you a technet link that has information on using LDIFDE in proper way.

Step-by-Step Guide to Bulk Import and Export to Active Directory

It is better if you test the migration first before doing that. There can be problem with the same. It is always necessary to check that your process is not having any flaw and you can find it by performing it on a test pc. Migration is not complicated but a time consuming. You have to check whether all accounts are migrated or not. Second you have to check the user permissions also. Many tools comes with limitation.

Try running ADMT and then check back. I think this would be a better way of migrating user accounts from your old dc to the new one. It is always good to keep a documentation ready with you. The documentation guide you for the process of migration and then applying appropriate file permission. So in case if some settings are not applied through the documentation you can restructure your domain back.