Thread: LDAP query - can I calculate the response time?

LDAP query - can I calculate the response time?

Can anyone tell me how to test complaints that I am getting about the LDAP queries being slow? Incase if there is any tool to test it out, then please let me know about it? Thanks.

Re: LDAP query - can I calculate the response time?

It is very easy to test LDAP queries, just download the ADFind tool from joeware.net. It will fire LDAP queries to the directory services. There is a switch that you can use, -stats, that will print out query time and efficiency of the query (in terms of index use). Another built in solution is to enable Field Engineering logging at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Directory Services\Diagnostics\15
    Field Engineering. Just key "15 Field Engineering" and set it to 5 for testing. It will create event log entries for LDAP searches then.

It could be that when you create a network trace of the LDAP query, you notice that it is a paged query. However, the LDAP server can only use one index to process a paged query. This is because LDAP does not have a transaction to end a query, and the implementation for paged searches does not create an expensive context for the query. For troubleshooting this issue, follow the solution given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951581

According to Network World there is a free response time monitoring tool you can find at Response Time Monitoring Tool