Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Remove child domain after child domain DC has failed

Active Directory

Old 25-03-2010

Remove child domain after child domain DC has failed

I am using Active Directory with Forest Functional Level 2003 and Domain Functional Level on 2008. I was having a dev domain, that a was a child domain of our production domain. This dev domain used to have a single domain controller and that domain controller has died? So I want to remove that dev chid domain from the production domain to get rid of the event log errors on my production domain controllers. So can anyone tell me how to remove a child domain from AD if there is no DC to demote? Thanks.

Old 26-03-2010

Re: Remove child domain after child domain DC has failed

When the last domain controller for a domain is demoted, the administrator selects the "This server is the last domain controller in the domain" option in the DCPromo tool, which removes the domain meta-data from Active Directory. Check to see the below link on how to remove domain meta-data from Active Directory if this procedure is not used or if or all domain controllers are taken offline but not demoted first:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230306

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory