Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

AD health check and cleanup

Active Directory

Old 20-01-2010

AD health check and cleanup

Hi, Iím running a Windows 2003 SP2 native mode with Single forest and single domain. Now I want to upgrade my domain to Windows 2008 AD by putting a new DC with Windows 2008 R2. Before I do that I would like to see my current AD in a good condition and cleanup any obsolete objects. Also the new Windows 2008 DC will be having a new name.

So I need some suggestions from you all about what Tools, scripts or commands do I need to run before the upgrade process. Thanks in advance.

Old 20-01-2010

Re: AD health check and cleanup

Whenever I come across such problems the very first thing I do is check the eventlog of all DCs involved and running repadmin as well as dcdiag on the DCs. This is helps us lot. So check the same first and if there are any error messages listed in the event log or with replication errors, then there are several built-in tools available in the Windows Server which will help you out.

As far as cleaning up and deleting obsolete objects is concerned, you can look at joe's oldcmp at joeware.net . It will help you to delete stale computer and user objects.
Old 20-01-2010

Hello Brandy,

Yes, there are several tools available using which you can check the health of your DC 2003. Tools such as dcdiag /v, netdiag /v and repadmin /showrepl will help you for the same. For using this tools you will need to install the support\tools\suptools.msi
from the 2003 installation disk. And as techman said above, you should always check the Event Viewer to get the report of your DCís health. Apart from this you can also run:

dnslint /ad /s "DC ip address"
Old 21-01-2010

We run the following script every week plus SCOM is online.Obviously you
need to change the dcName and ip_address

Quote:
@echo off

c:
cd \
cd "program files\support tools"

del c:\dcdiag.log
DCDIAG /V /C /D /E /s:dcName > c:\dcdiag.log
start c:\dcdiag.log

repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
start c:\repl.txt

start notepad.exe C:\WINDOWS\Debug\Netlogon.log

ntfrsutl ds dcName > c:\sysvol.log
start c:\sysvol.log

dnslint /ad /s ip_address /v

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: , ,