Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to check if all DC are working properly

Active Directory

Old 26-10-2009

How to check if all DC are working properly

Hi, guys. Iím using Windows 2003 ADS and using DSquery server to get a list of the domain controllers. But I have a small query. I wanted to know what would be the best way for me to test if my DCs are working fine? I mean, I can check if all are syncing and Authenticate with each other.

If there is any such commandline tool please let me know soon. Thank you.

Old 26-10-2009

Re: How to check if all DC are working properly

The best tool you can use is Diagnostics. Just run the diagnostics for your AD domain. If you donít have the support tool already installed, you can get it from server installation disk, i.e. d:\support\tools\setup.exe. You can also run dcdiag, netdiag and repadmin in verbose mode. Run the following:
  • DCDIAG /V /C /D /E /s:yourdcname > c:\dcdiag.log
  • netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log (On each dc)
  • repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
  • ntfrsutl ds your_dc_name > c:\sysvol.log
  • dnslint /ad /s "ip address of your dc"
Old 27-10-2009

You asked how you can check if your DCs are working properly. Well it is very simple. Unless you get any error message in your Event log or on your display, it means your DCs are working fine. SO simply, keep checking the Event Logs regularly. Apart from this you can also keep using few important tools such as dcdiag, netdiag, nltest, and others from the support tool pack. Hope it helps.
Old 27-10-2009

You guys are absolutely right. If your DCs report any errors please post the complete output.

Best regards

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: