Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

AD Sites and Services Best Practices

Active Directory

Old 10-09-2009

AD Sites and Services Best Practices

I am starting a new Windows 2003 Active Directory environment and I want to know if anyone can help me about AD Sites and Services information. The place where I am working is a main office with 3 branch offices and each branch office will have a domain controller with windos 2003. I am going to make the subnets for each site so each domain controller will stay in your site. One question that I have is, in branch office site, besides the local DC, should I put the main office DC to get a better replication performance? Thanks

Old 10-09-2009

Re: AD Sites and Services Best Practices

Do you mean to say that you have 2 different domains? If so, then placing a DC that is part of the Main office domain in branch offices will actually increase replication. You can try to set up additional DCs from other domains in each site that will primarily depend on whether you have users from each office visit other locations on regular basis.
Old 10-09-2009

Re: AD Sites and Services Best Practices

Normally in AD sites and services you have to reflect the physical structure with the sites and there belonging subnets. So, incase the main site use a different subnet then the branches, what I think of, you have to keep the main site DC in its own site. You can try to lower the replication between sites in AD sites and services to 15 minutes or with some more configuration to more or less immediate. However if you know where the user is located for password change, just select the proper site DC and change the password on this one.
Old 11-09-2009

Check the article made on "Best practices for Active Directory Sites and Services" from here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: