Thread: Changing the primary domain DNS name of this computer

Changing the primary domain DNS name of this computer

I am using the 2003 native domain and forest functional mode and I have 5 DCs spread across 3 AD sites, 4 out of the 6 DC are running Windows 2008 SP1. Just some time ago, I am getting some complaints about adding Windows 2008 servers to the domain. The user can add the server to the domain but after the machine gets added to the domain the user will get error message saying that "changing the primary Domain DNS name of this computer to failed". Can anyone help me troubleshoot this error? Thanks.

Re: Changing the primary domain DNS name of this computer

As per the error that you are getting, can you tell us whether the server is a member of another domain? Or have you done a fresh it on a fresh installed computer on which you are trying to add as member server to the domain? How is the DNS configured in your domain and how many DNS servers are there, how are they located, are you using any kind of AD integrated zones?

I know this is a very late post, but perhaps it will help someone looking for answers to the same problem. My problem was very similar. I tried removing and re-adding the server to the domain, that didn't work. I then went to the properties of Network and noticed the sever was set up as a member of a public network. The server is on a private/internal only network so I changed the setting to private. I was then able to add users to the administrator's group from the domain with no issues.