Thread: Running Domain controller on Vmware

Running Domain controller on Vmware

Hi Guys

Does anyone run all their domain controllers on Vmware before? Heard that some says that it is not recommeded to do so. Thus, I am looking for some advise.. Will there be issues if I do so?

Regards

RE: Running Domain controller on Vmware

I do not think there will be any problem in running Domain Controllers over VMs. You have to ensure that your physical server must be working well. Technically talking it is possible and things will be fine. It same like you are running a server. You just have to keep all your backup file proper. In case of any issue you can simply restore your server settings back.

I am giving you some links here that can help you to understand in using Windows server on Vmware. There is no major problem. You need a good hardware for the same. Or else there would be issue with performance. Check the below links for detail info on the same.

I am glad to recieve so many responses.

I see... So it can be done, but just that there are more considerations and preceaution steps to be taken note of. Anyway, we am using VMware Virtual Center 2.5. I guess the planning should be similar to that on other virtualisation software rite?

I suppose that you are prefering to place the FSMO roles on the physical DC rather than VM DC.... Is it because of performance or availability issue?

How wil the TCP offload affect the domain?

Mind if I ask what is the term "TOE"? Also from the MS article on USM issue

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875495

I understand that restoring from a backup software that is not AD-aware will not reset the invocation ID. How does invocation ID is used in AD replication?

The success of VMware implementation mostly rely on the infrastructure and configuration of your network. Here you are running a entire os virtually. You need a good hardware for performance. It works really well. It is recommended that you follow Microsoft Guideline for the configuration of virtual setup. That would be far more better I think.

Re: Running Domain controller on Vmware

Hi guys

Thanks for the advise and clarification.

Regards

Domon