Thread: How to remove automatically generated Replication links to the Dcs

How to remove automatically generated Replication links to the Dcs

We did set up an Additional domain controller w2k3 in a existing domain. The dc is also a Dns server. Once Ad was installed i created a new Site in in Active directory sites and services and assigned it an Unique subnet and moved the Dc into the Site.

It is not a GC at this point. Once the replication was done KCC picked up all the dc's under the site link to replicate from /to this new DC.

Before this new DC all the replication was done to say server -1, but now this dc has added it self to all Dc. In short it is replicating from all the dc's and replicating to all the dc's.

is their a way i can avoid this and just point the new dc to replicate to Server-1 as it used to be with all Dc before this new install?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Re: How to remove automatically generated Replication links to the Dcs

When you moved the DC into site, make sure the DC ip matches with the new subnet which you have assigned to the new site. Furthermore I dint understood what you exactly meant by saying “this dc has added itself to all Dc”? If you have 2 DCs then they both should have replicated with each other. If you have more than 2 DCs, what is the exact number?

If I just assume you have more than 23 DCs then let me tell you that they will generate their COs according with the configuration provided in ADSS.

Assuming that you are referring to the intersite replication, you can designate server-1 as the bridgehead server.

You can get more info about the same in this Microsoft Article: Description of Bridgehead Servers in Windows 2000

While searching for some more resources to help you out i came through an Article on Technet describing "Best practices for Active Directory Sites and Services." I think you must checkout the same, it will help you. You can get the same here : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc755768.aspx