Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

move AD objects to specified OU automatically through AD

Active Directory

Old 25-11-2008

move AD objects to specified OU automatically through AD

Can anyone tell me a way that I can move computer object and user object to specified OUs from AD default containers, even if it is computers OU or users OU, through group policy? Thanks

Old 25-11-2008

Re: move AD objects to specified OU automatically through AD

I dont think Group Policy can do that, it will only force settings on the clients operating system and not on its AD objects or AD itself. Incase you are in a domain with server 2003 domain functional level, did you check at the 2 command line tools "redircmp" and "redirusr". They have actually redirect newly created users and machines to OUs you specify.
Old 26-11-2008

Thanks for the replies. Could you please tell me how to automate this process everytime there is a new user or cmputer to be created by using these 2 command line tools? We are using Windows 2003 domain functional level. And aso I have separated OUs for admin users and admins computers and regular users and their computers?
Old 26-11-2008

You can try to redirect the users and computers containers in Active Directory domains. In a default installation of an Active Directory domain, user accounts, computer accounts, and groups are put in CN=objectclass containers instead of being put in a more desirable organizational unit class container. For more information, visit this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324949
Old 29-11-2008

As others have written, you cant use GPO as an option, but you can try that using CMD tools or through the GUI. Or else, you can either script it or use NETDOM at the clients/servers to put the computer account in the correct OU.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: