Thread: Adprep /rodcprep error message

Adprep /rodcprep error message

If we are trying to run the Adprep /rodcprep on Windows server 2003 with all the FSMO roles that we have, we are getting an error message "Adprep /rodcprep" command in Windows Server 2008: "Adprep could not contact a replica for partition DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=Contoso,DC=com". I have followed the microsoft kb article that explains how to solve this but before we run any scripts on our AD we will like to know how to do we find this bad parition and how do we check the FSMORoleOwner attributes it has now. Any ideas

You can try to run "netdom query fsmo" and check the ourput for the DCs. If some of them are died and will never come back to the domain but still are listed as a FSMO role holder, then you have to seize that role to another DC before going on. You might not able to move that role when the DC is not available. So for seizing, check this article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

Re: Adprep /rodcprep error message

Mostly every domain and application partitionhas an infrastructure master FSMO. The one that you are seeing in ADUC is for the domain NC and not forthe DNS application NC, and by the way NC is equal to partition.

Have anyone able to resolve this problem? Even we are facing the same problems. I did try to run the script on the Microsoft KB to be able to update the DomainDNSZones but I am not able to update the ForestDNSZones. Also, all the attributes in ADSI Edit look proper to me, that is; the FSMO server is current and available.