Thread: net logon service not running

net logon service not running

I got complain from users this morning who are using Windows XP client. There is some issue with Net Logon service. They are getting problem accessing the network shared drive. I tried to reconnect all the stuff back again but still it does not work. I tried to RDC which also failed. I am quiet annoyed with the same. The only issue I found is with Net Logon Service. It is not working at all. Can anyone help me to find a solution for the same.

Did you find anything related to that in Event viewer. Is there any error related to that mentioned. I will recommend you to check that first. Also I am giving you a microsoft link that is having solution on your problem.

The Netlogon service does not start and event IDs 2114 and 7024 are logged in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows 2000 Server

Try to restart your server in safe mode and then seen. In safe mode just see that you are using the local account only. Here you have to ensure that the service that is activated is enabled. You can go in services to find out whether it is activated or not. Later on just restart your server once again and simply log in the same account. It looks the service is getting some problem while starting on its own. Does the server crashed before.

Re: net logon service not running

Try to clean boot your system. You can find out in startup services whether everything is properly configured or not. Just type msconfig in the run box and go General. There you can find selective startup option. Remove the tick from system.ini, win.in and load startup item. Then go in Services > and tick on Hide all Microsoft services. Disable everything from here. Reboot and check back.

I'm having the same issue on Windows XP 64. Like Greg:

I can't log in. I can't get an RPC or RDP connection.

Therefore:

I can't check logs - I can't get to services.

Last Known Good is NOT an option because I successfully reach MS GINA - which *IS* the "last known good" in Window's terms...

I can't log in locally.

I can't log in as a domain user.

The error is that the netlogon service is not running.

If I try Safe Mode, the error is "the domain <machine name> is not available>

Any ideas other that installing a new OS?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the replies.

1. Since I can not log in (at all, local, domain or otherwise) I can not start/stop services or do anything else inside the OS. No RPC sessions, no RDP.

2. Yes, I did boot a recovery shell but I was unable to authenticate in it or change the administrator password. I also tried Windows PE from the UBCD.

I'm pretty sure the only option at this point would be to mount the drive on another Windows box... Or install another instance of XP in parallel to a new folder.

It is actually faster for me to build another XP install and manually recreate the shares, etc... Fortunately none of that data is lost (and is also doubly backed up locally and off site).

What you find in DCDiag. Run that and see what information it gives you on the problem you are facing. There must be some issue with net logon. It can be connectivity failure also. I am giving you a link below that can help you finding solution for your problem.

Troubleshooting Active Directory—Related DNS Problems

Re: net logon service not running

i solve the problem with a bootable cd with windows xp.

i've started the install of windows (the one with blue screen) , windows loading and after the moment with F8 i've select R=Repair