Thread: Windows 2008 Print Server GPO Problem

Windows 2008 Print Server GPO Problem

We have a Print Server Windows 2008, XP SP3 client and also a Windows 2008 domain with us. We have got 2 printers published in my Print Server. In the print management I had deploy the printers by GPO to my Users in Users OU. If I am loggin on in the Windows XP SP3 machine, the printers dont appears. I have applied another policy, like hide IE icon, and it will work. I have run RSOP but the printer policy doesnt appear. I have used a script to connect a printer and it has worked by GPO. Can anyone please help me out with this thing? Thanks.

Re: Windows 2008 Print Server GPO Problem

Do you by any chance using scripts or the new Group Policy Preferences? Incase you are using the preferences, did you install the client side extensions on XP? Check the "Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP" from here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/downl...s.aspx?id=3628

Re: Windows 2008 Print Server GPO Problem

I am using the GPO and I have already installed the Client Side Extension but it is not working. What do you think that the issue is exactly? Thanks.

Can you run the gpresult /v on the client and see if he policy setting is applied? If it is too long for the command window then pipe it to a text file:

gpresult /v >c:\output.txt

I think the problem is with XP sp3 i have been using the print managment console for 3 weeks now from a windows 2003 R2 box, and it has been working fine on all my Windows Xp Sp2 imaged computers. I made a new image with SP3 and the policy shows being applied from gpresults, but the printer is not installed. I am opening a bug ticket with MS. I will provide the results of the ticket as they are made available to me.

Make sure your Xp clients are fully updated with the most recent patches. Miine started working after updating the XP clients, i was not able to determine the exact update. If your using computer based policy make sure you setup a computer security group that the contains all the computers you intend the policy to apply to.

Is your server x64? If so you need to add the x86 drivers in the print server as well. Check the event logs to see if the pushprinterconnections.exe is running or failing. You mentioned it is deploying one printer, what is different about that deployment, Clients OS?

The log file would be in the eventviewer on the client to the effect that the script applied or not, if you setup the pushprinterconnections.exe to log in your GPO it will be located %windir%\temp\ppcMachine.log. I am going based off some w2k3 functions but in printers on the server if you right click in the whitespace there should be an option for server properties. Then you will have the Drivers tab, make sure you have the drivers for your client's OS (XP in your case)

Did you ever resolve this.. i cant figure out why mine aren't being deployed to xp as well..