Thread: Regarding disconnected DCs

Regarding disconnected DCs

Hi,

I've been reading these forums the past couple of days, and they have been very informative. I thought I'd sign up to ask my question, since it's in regards to a situation that hasn't occured yet, but is likely to occur.

I have two DCs (the only ones in their network) that were shut down because they'll be moved to a different location. They will not be turned back on in a while, probably over 60 days. I've been reading about what will happen with the DCs refusing to replicate after they haven't replicated in over 60 days (or whatever the tombstone lifetime is).

We've had the situation in the past (except in the past we weren't aware of the tombstone thing) and have had to completely rebuild the DCs from scratch. My question is, can I avoid that in the future? Would it be possible to turn on 1 of them and demote it, then turn the other one on, and promote the first one again? Or something like that?

Thanks in advance,
    Pedro

Re: Regarding disconnected DCs

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Hi,

I've been reading these forums the past couple of days, and they have been very informative. I thought I'd sign up to ask my question, since it's in regards to a situation that hasn't occured yet, but is likely to occur.

I have two DCs (the only ones in their network) that were shut down because they'll be moved to a different location. They will not be turned back on in a while, probably over 60 days. I've been reading about what will happen with the DCs refusing to replicate after they haven't replicated in over 60 days (or whatever the tombstone lifetime is).

We've had the situation in the past (except in the past we weren't aware of the tombstone thing) and have had to completely rebuild the DCs from scratch. My question is, can I avoid that in the future? Would it be possible to turn on 1 of them and demote it, then turn the other one on, and promote the first one again? Or something like that?

Thanks in advance,
    Pedro
    It is hard to guess if you will be facing the same issue in future or not like that but then i don't think you should if you will be trying to replicate the DCs before tombstone lifetime.

Re: Regarding disconnected DCs

Thank you for your reply!

Well, the thing is, it's very likely that they will not be turned on again until after the tombstone lifetime is exceeded (the equipment has been torn down and packed up to be shipped, but that may not happen until 1 or 2 more months, so the machines will be sitting there turned off). My question is, how can I avoid the problem of the machines not replicating once they're turned back on? Is it even possible to avoid it?