Thread: Rename 2008-level domain with Exchange 2007 present

Rename 2008-level domain with Exchange 2007 present

We have a Windows 2008 server running with 2008 Domain and Exchange 2007. In this environment is it possible to rename Windows 2008 Domain using the tolls provided by Microsoft itself?

Before asking it here I did a search on Microsoft and found this “Introduction to Administering Active Directory Domain Rename” but it is very confusing for me. So can anyone of you please provide me exact details regarding this?

Thank you.

RE: Rename 2008-level domain with Exchange 2007 present

I have something to say apart from your question. Can you tell us what exactly the problem is which make you rename the domain? If i was on your place, i would never rename a domain which is running with Exchange server. You should better find out some another solution related top the problem which is forcing you to rename the domain. This is just my opinion and maybe
    someone else can give you the required guidance. Even so be very careful.

Yeah, you are right Bearing. It is not recommened to rename the Domain in such condition. Anyways, if he still want to do the same, just look at these following URLs:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925822/en-us
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...42587794f1a25f

Re: Rename 2008-level domain with Exchange 2007 present

Okay. I renamed a Windows 2008 forest where Exchange 2008 was installed in the AD. Note that my procedure is only written for only one Exchange server in the organization, so I could not move sertain roles or mailboxes to another server.

Here it is:

1. Export all mailboxes, including the Public Folders to a PST.
    2. Disable the incomming and outgoing mail traffic, so the content mailboxes can no longer be changed.
    3. On the Exchange server, remove the link between the Offlice Address Book and Outlook V3 by enabling only the link to Outlook V4.
      • Set-OfflineAddressBook -Identity "<Offline Adderessbook name>" -Versions Version4

4. On the Exchange server, remove the link between the Offline Address Book then the Public folders.
      • Set-OfflineAddressBook -Identity "<Offline Adderessbook name>" -PublicFolderDistributionEnabled $false

5. On the Exchange server, remove the Offline Address Book.
      • Remove-OfflineAddressBook -Identity "<Offline Adderessbook name>"

6. On the Exchange server, remove the Public Folders.
      • Get-PublicFolder -Server "<Server name>" "\" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server "<Server name>" -Recurse -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue
      • Get-PublicFolder -Server "<Server name>" "\Non_Ipm_Subtree" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server "<Server name>" -Recurse -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue
      • Get-PublicFolderStatistics -Server "<Server name>" | fl

7. On the Exchange server, disable all mailboxes.
      • Get-Mailbox | Disable-Mailbox

8. On the Exchange server, uninstall Exchange.
    9. On the Exchange server, delete the folder “C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server”
    10. On the DNS server, create new DNS-zones:
      1. Change the old domain- and the _msdcs- DNS zone to be stored in a .dns-file.
      2. Copy the old .dns-files with the name of the new domain.
      3. Replace all entries in the new .dns-file to comply with the new domain.
      4. Add the new domain in DNS, using the new .dns-files.
      5. Change the new domain- and the _msdcs- DNS zone to be stored in Active Directory.
      6. Let the new domain- and the _msdcs- DNS zone to accept only secure updates.

11. On the DC, rename the domain:
      1. Run “rendom /list” to generate a state file named Domainlist.xml. This file contains the current forest configuration.
      2. Edit the state file, changing the <DNSname> and <NetBiosName> fields to the desired values for the new domain name.
      3. Run “rendom /showforest” to show the potential changes; this step does not actually make any changes.
      4. Run “rendom /upload” to upload the rename instructions to the configuration directory partition on the domain controller holding the domain naming operations master role. The instructions are then replicated to all other DC’s in the forest. Once replicated to all DC’s, the rename instructions are ready to be carried out. You can force replication by using the “repadmin /syncall” command.
      5. Run “rendom /prepare” to verify the readiness of each domain controller in the forest to carry out the rename instructions. This should contact all DC’s successfully and return no errors before proceeding.
      6. Run “rendom /execute”, this again verifies readiness of all DC’s, then preforms the rename action on each one. There will be a service interruption during this period. Upon completion domain controllers will be rebooted. If an error occurs on a DC during this phase, the entire transaction is rolled back. Any DC’s that don’t complete successfully after this phase must be demoted and removed from service. Don’t forget to log in using the new credentials!
      7. Run “gpfixup /olddns: <Old DNS name> /newdns:<New DNS name>” and “gpfixup /oldnb: <Old flat name> /newnb:<New flat name>” to refresh all intradomain references and links to group policy objects.
      8. Reboot DC once and then reboot client computers and member servers twice to obtain new domain name. Because the GUID’s of the domain remain the same during the rename process, domain membership is not affected. The DNS suffix of the client machines will also be updated assuming the default option of “Change primary DNS suffix when domain membership changes” is enabled. Don’t forget to log in using the new credentials!
      9. Run “rendom /clean” to remove references of the old domain name from Active Directory.
      10. Run “rendom /end” to unfreeze the forest configuration and allow further changes. This was frozen during the rendom /upload step.

12. On the DC, prepare the forest for Exchange.
      • setup /PrepareAD /OrganizationName:"<Organization name>"

13. On the Exchange server, install Exchange
    14. Mail enable all users then needs a mailbox.
    15. Import all PST’s into the correct mailbox.

I do agree. if you carefully see this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925822 it mentions

Windows Server 2003 also lets you rename domain controllers. However, if you rename the domain controllers, and if you have Exchange 2007- based computers in the domain, you should consider the following issues:

The Directory Service Access (DSAccess) component can no longer correctly query domain controllers. This issue occurs because domain controllers that were manually specified in Exchange Server 2007 refer to the old domain controller names. In this case, the Exchange-related services no longer function. Domain controllers that are automatically discovered by DSAccess may not be used until the Exchange Server servers are restarted. This issue occurs because DSAccess stores the original domain controller names in memory.

Nice to hear that you get it running for your environment, but keep in mind whenever a problem occur you have a not supported system by MS.