Thread: Server 2008 can't log into domain

Server 2008 can't log into domain

I have recently done a new installation of Windows Server 2008 on 2 servers. The first is DC and I am able to log into it without any issues. All the services seem to be running fine. The second is a member of the domain and I have installed Exchange 2007 on it. After a day, I was not able to log into the domain, only the local account. I have also configured a XP computer on the domain and I am not able to log int with that as well. I am getting 'Could not log you on' error message on XP and 'the user name or password is incorrect' on Windows Server 2008. I did try to change the admin password but it does not solves the issue? Can anyone please help. Thanks

Re: Server 2008 can't log into domain

Incase it is reporting in the error message with the password issue, then ensure you are using atleast capitals, small letters or numbers. You should also know that the username or over 3 characters of the username are not allowed.

Thank you for the reply. I have checked that the password is strong and accepted by the DNS and not just by another machines. It is almost as though the DS is not talking to the other computers.

Can you try to look into your Event Log to check if there are any better details on why the failure is happening? You can also check both the DCs and the local machines Security logs. I also think that you use domain user accounts for logging on to the domain with XP? If you can post the ipconfig /all from all 3 machines, then it would be great.

We are experiencing the same problem with a new 2008 x64 server. We have our Microsoft folks looking at it now. We have errors in the security log on the DC it's talking to like 0x17, 0x19 and 0x1F. One other wierd thing is we can logon to the device with some enterprise admin accounts in the parent domain but none from it's own domain. Traces are showing a network issue but we are not sure where the issue is yet. I will let you know what we figure out. Our issue started late last week just after rolling out security patches to our lab environment.

Could you tell us about your domain setup and how many DCs are they connected to? You should also post the unedited ipconfig /all from the issue machines and complete event viewer entries instead of a hex output. Also, you can try to run diagnostic tools like dcdiag /v and repadmin /showrepl to ensure your DCs replicate properly.

Sorry I did not really need assistance I was really just trying to help because I knew we were close to having this resolved. I cannot post much of that information you would need for various reasons. We were already beyond troubleshooting AD with dcdiag and repadmin, etc... Our issue is now resolved but I do not want to mislead others searching for a resoltuion so please PM me or email me and we can determine if our situations are the same or not and if so maybe ngjarman can test it and post the official resolution.

-Dominic