Thread: Missing Objects in Group Policy Editor

Missing Objects in Group Policy Editor

We are using our Default Domain Policy that we use to control our Domain's Group Policy. Just now, something has happened and we are not able to see some of the Objects. For instance, we have a desktop image set, which in Group Policy Management we can see under settings, but when we go to edit it in the Group Policy Object Editor, it is not there. Can anyone please help? Thanks

Re: Missing Objects in Group Policy Editor

Can you please tell us which settings have you turned on under View/Filtering in the GPO Editor?

If I am looking then I am not able tofind anything to with Filterting under View in the GPO Editor? Could you please tell me how to find the Filtering in GPO Editor? Thanks.

Try removing them from the list. Once they're out, re-add them.

I've been having issues with many fresh installs of XP on different laptops, though all of them DELL, for several month now.

GP edit only shows the "Windows Components" template under "Administrative Templates" in the "User Configuration" section. The same missing templates (when the problem occurs) every time I install XP from the same Windows XP Pro CD (which includes SP3. Original DELL CD).

The problem does not always occur but I'd say around 75% of times it does. Whenever it does not, the whole installation is just as it should.

I've looked around the net several time last few month. I've tried MS guides on re-applying MMC's and that has not helped. But, I finally found this thread which helped me. Reading Marci's post mentioning system.adm got me to searching on it and I then got to MS download site for adm package and installing the correct package from there solved the problem. Now I have GP editor complete with all the templates it should have.

Here is the URL to MS download of the adm packages:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

One thing I do wonder about though is why I sometimes see a "Filter" section in the View menu of the GP editor and other times I see a Domain Controller Options section. We are not using any MS DC's but maybe it's enough with Linux server connections?